Changes in the status of science and technology in Korea
Capabilities required by society according to the changing times
A whole new mind, Daniel pink
Core capabilities required of all workers in the societies of the future, as emphasized by world-class scholars
Capabilities required of creative workers in science, technology, and engineering that were taken into consideration when developing the STEAM education concept
Purpose of the creation of STEAM education
The purpose of STEAM education is to foster globally competent creative individuals who are capable of preparing for the future society using the ability to create value through holistic and integrative thinking by connecting technology, engineering, arts, humanities, and social sciences based on the principles of basic science. In addition, STEAM education should be a creative type of education that both teachers and students can enjoy.
* The creation of practical value for life through integration is based on technology and engineering.
* Science : Make knowledge with money
- a field of study that aims to establish the laws of science through experimentation based on observances of nature and the resulting data collected.
* Technology and engineering : Make substantial wealth and quality of life with knowledge
- Fields of study with practical applications that improve the wealth and the life quality of members of society by creating values based on scientific knowledge.
Key elements required for STEAM education
1. The concept of storytelling-based systematic linkage with various fields together with the creative combination and integration of different fields should be adopted.
2. In addition to default inquiry learning based on simple observations, the concepts of engineering design-based learning and integration-based learning should also be adopted.
3. In order to foster truly creative workers in the age of integration, there is a need to carry out education on diverse applications between STEAM fields.
4. There is also a need for ‘Just in time education and learning’.
5. The ability to view science, technology, engineering, arts, humanities, sociology and other fields of study from a macro perspective and to communicate with other fields should be cultivated.
6. Ideologies additionally required in the era of integration should also be reflected.
① Existing ideologies required in science, technology, and engineering
* emphasis on labs and production sites
② Ideologies additionally required in this era
* Making approaches with a diverse and broad knowledge of design, management, market, environment, international circumstances, culture, policy, etc.,
entrepreneurship = science, technology, engineering + business + law
- Global Techno-Social Leadership
Global Techno-Social Leadership = science, technology, engineering, + arts + humanities and social sciences
7. The ability to create value through systematic and strategic linkage, and through combination and integration, between social systems and science, technology, and engineering, should be cultivated.
8. Fostering of talent should be carried out in a manner that enables predicting and preparing for the future.
9. Education should be carried out in a manner that produces global leaders in science, technology, and engineering who operate and contribute globally.
* Workers desired around the world in the current era are those who are ethical, strategic, creative, adventurous, and dedicated with excellent situation assessment skills
People in science, technology, and engineering should be educated on morality and ethics as well.
① Those in science, technology, and engineering should be able to address and analyze the meaning and value of science, technology, and engineering activities.
② When faced with a moment that requires moral and ethical decisions while conducting science, technology, and engineering activities, those involved should be able to make the right decisions based on a sound sense of values.
③ Those in science, technology, and engineering should be made to learn suitable moral standards and norms for scientific, technological, and engineering activities.
④ Those in science, technology, and engineering should raise the ethical awareness of intellectual property rights.
11. The development and adoption of various creative learning and teaching techniques that both teachers and students can enjoy should be carried out, with active use of creative learning tools
12. Science textbooks, which are an important medium for science education, should be edited and composed in a creative, systematic and efficient way.